Thursday, September 11, 2008

7 years

Seven years ago today, I was driving to work listening to the radio. I came into the morning radio station in the midst of a conversation about a plane crash. At first, I thought they were talking about a movie, or who knows what. By the time I arrived to work, I knew enough to turn on the news. There, our staff sat in disbelief. We all cried as we watched the 2nd plane go crashing into the World Trade Center. Tears streamed down my face for much of the day. Confusion, disbelief, agony. I can still see so vividly those images, just engraved in my memory. The pictures of heroic acts, pure devastation, fear. It was so thick you could feel it in your gut a million miles away. You always hear about the people who were directly affected by the loss, because they knew somebody. I can't even imagine the pain of such a loss. The truth is, our entire country hurt that day. Our entire country lost something that day. I believe America to be the most amazing place on Earth. We are so blessed, and seven years ago we were robbed of life. All walks of life, all races, all religions. Those things no longer mattered. We lost a lot of lives. We lost our sense of security for a brief moment. We did not lose hope though, we did not lose faith, and we became a closer community of Americans. My heart and prayers are with all of those today who lost a family member in this tragedy. God Bless America.

No comments: