Thursday, September 04, 2008

Interview with a cowboy.....







I had the amazing pleasure of photographing a sweet, talented, and fun cowboy recently. Sam Riggs is a name you should know, because I think one day everyone will know his name. His talent is as big as his heart, and it shows in just his kind nature. He was SUCH a joy to work with, and I can't wait to take more photos for Sam. After his session, I had the hair-brained idea of doing an interview with Sam. Being the gentleman that he is, he humored me in my silly antics to be a cool girl. Or not. I felt cool, ok?!?! So, here is my fun interview with a cowboy. Sam, I think you're pretty fabulous and I hope you get the recognition you and your talent deserve.




If you had to describe yourself, your style, your music - how would you?

-Straight foward and real. I try as hard as possible to tap into emotions we've all felt when I write, and bring that to the stage at shows. I'm a good timer who likes to draw outside the lines, but I stay away from the whole "super star" look. That's definitely not me. I'm not interested in selling my face, just my music...


I have listened to your music, and I am so amazed by the talent. Do you write your own music, and if so what inspires you when you are writing?

-Yes, I write all of my material. When I sit down to write I think about things, events, people, places and situations that have affected me, and then I proceed to come up with a way to put that into lyrics with a melody and wrap it all up into a relatable song. I like songs that I can listen to and say "hey! that just happened to me!" or "wow, that takes me back to when..." I also strive to write material that encourages people to live life out loud...cause life is like a rodeo... we only get one go-round, so make it count.




What musicians have inspired your journey?

-John Rich, Jason Aldean,Jerry Reed, Kevin Fowler, Garth Brooks, Randy Travis, Merle Haggard, George Jones, Hank Williams Jr. and Sr., and many others.

Favorite song of all time???

-Not a fair question.... I'll name you two of my favorites: Hick Town (Jason Aldean), and Amos Moses (Jerry Reed).

When did this journey begin for you?

-eh, at about the age of six-this was when I really knew that I wanted to be a singer/songwriter.

If you could headline for one singer or band, who would it be?

-ohhh geeeze.... probably Kevin Fowler... there's always a great crowd at his shows...


I know you are working right now on some sample music, when should we expect to hear more from you?

-The expected release date of my upcoming album will be towards the end of this year.

Will you still come sing my children to sleep? I'm tired. While you are at it, will you clean my house????

-Haha, of course! My Mom sang my brother and I to sleep till we were in the third grade- so I'm no stranger to bedtime musicals haha.
And as for the house... I'll do my ole' one-two on it! Have er shinin' like slick 50:)


Next, because I'm just a nosy kind of girl, please tell us about yourself. Your background in music, what has brought you to where you are?

-Oh boy here we go haha... As I said before, my mother had a huge role in my music, She's a dreamer, and she encouraged me since I was just a youngin' to follow my heart... it hasn't been an easy road though. I was born and raised in St. cloud FL, and it was there that the proverbial "seed" of my music career sprouted. Growing up I was emersed in southern tradition and was brought up in a family full of good hearted women, cowboys, truck drivers, mechanics, and one preacher-(my grandad). I started playing around my home town in bars and at parties when I was around 14, and from there on out I've been addicted to the music and the crowd. I was raised to work hard and play hard so that's how I roll... I moved here to Austin just over a year ago, and imediately fell into the music scene. I love this place! I play most every gig I can find, and for the ones that don't require a full band, I do solo gigs as well.

Do you think I'm the coolest photographer in the world??? (You better say yes)

-Not only are you the coolest, but also quite a talent! and so professional!

Don't you just LOVE your photos??? I do, you're gonna have to chase the girls away!

-Yes ma'am I have to say, those pictures actaully do say a thousand words...you caught a side of me few ever see... the good one! haha.... you did a fine job though really. I don't chase girls away...when I play a show and there's a lot of girls, then there's bound to be a lot of dudes too, and that makes for a good crowd! And When you're playing for the door big crowds are good...

Will you keep us posted to any gigs you will be playing here? I'd love to go and know lots of people who will want to know too once they get to know you and
your music!


-Absolutely! I normaly post all of my gigs on: http://www.myspace.com/samriggsmusic so you can check there and listen to some tunes while you're on the site!



And for the finale, I'm fairly certain I turned 56 shades of red. (Are there 56 shades of red??? If not, I made new ones tonight) Final question, cause I know someone is gonna want to know!




"I was going to include this earlier, then didn't want to be a freak. hehe Then I was informed that all the ladies are going to want to know so better ask now then after I've posted your pics. hehehhee I haven't asked a boy this in a long time and I didn't want to be the creepy old girl to ask this, but it's for the stinking interview. lol

Are you single???

I am such a tard."




-Hahahahaha *falls over laughing*.... yes, as a result of recent executive desicion making...




And so he left me, with a juicy answer. I threatened to hunt him down, pig tie him, and poke the juicy details out of him. But, I don't know where he lives, and I don't know how to pig tie, or tie a pig, or tie anything for that matter. And its dark, and I've got a house to clean cause he is hiding from me since he promised to give her the old one two. Men. Really though, this was fun. If Sam's ever playing a gig in the area, I will post it here - you have to check him out!!! He is just such a sweet, adorable guy! Thank you Sam!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow. I am a fan already, and I don't even know this kid... could it be the brillant interview and the cutting edge photography??? I see a bright future for songwriter/singer and photographer/journelist.... :o)

MOM

Jodie said...

B - you crack me up! Awesome pics. Best wishes to Cowboy Sam!